I would like to know the opinion of others re. a discussion we are having with the XTRF developpers. There is a great idea behind Smart projects: Standardization of processes, control of the production steps, automation, data and reports.
The price seems to be a loss of flexibility and no direct access to the files which is a major issue for our company, because we regularly encounter the following issues:
- we just wand to look at the processed files
- we use the processed files for various operations on the content (e.g. analyses, extraction of terms, correcting minor errors)
- people using the files (outside standard tasks such as translation or QA) can be internal, external, registered in XTRF or not. They can work in parallel processes (e.g. extracting information while the translator translates)
- The tools used can be everything on the market + macros and scripts
- The operations on the files can be standard or very individual (one-off issues).
For all these reasons we feel we would lose our flexibility if we are forced by Smart projects to upload and download everything and to squeeze all actions into a task or a procedure. We want to standardize what makes sense, but at the same time access the files on our file server and be able to do some action without up- and downloading the files every time or calling-up an XTRF script.
Are we the only ones with this requirement? Can the others process all their jobs via standard tasks? Our understanding is that sooner or later the Classic projects will be phased out and only the Smart projects will remain.
Customer support service by UserEcho